In many operating environments, sensors are imperative in delivering productivity and performance improvements – but often the biggest challenge is not how you can use the sensor but how you can get power to them in the places where you need them. Wireless power eliminates many of the design constraints and costs associated with the implementation and delivery of power to sensors by removing the need for a physical contact point.
Imaging sensors, GPS sensors, accelerometer sensors and a whole host of others are providing opportunities for the deployment of wireless power solutions.
Data & Power Transfer
Sensor based applications for wireless power have driven much of our core Research and Development since 2007. In more cases than not, the application will require us to not only deliver power wirelessly, but data as well. As a result, a number of our products are designed with an integrated configurable wireless data module, which can support all major Industrial standards including CAN-bus, Ethernet, RS485 and PLC 4-20mA.
Benefits of using Wireless Power for Sensors
- Reliable source of power for sensors in wet, dirty and moving environments
- Unique option for delivering power to extremities of devices and equipment
- Reduce cost of cable and labor associated with installing sensor systems
- Faster update rates without sacrificing uptime
- Maximize flexibility in deployment and reconfiguration of sensors
- Provide power through non-metallic substrates without having to drill holes
- Integrated wireless data module which supports all major Industrial protocols
The added value of using wireless power is accentuated in mission-critical applications, for example in a chemical processing plant, where sensors play a critical role in gathering information on pressure and temperature status of the rotating reactor. Traditionally, wired instruments are not suitable for this environment due to their propensity to breakdown and degrade over time, affecting the reliability of the measurements.
Through the use of a wireless power connector or slip ring, connection points are hermetically sealed, and batteries are recharged wirelessly. The upshot is reduced downtime for charging/replacing connectors, lowering maintenance costs and most importantly, removing the exposure hazard for staff.
- Process Automation – easy re-configuration of sensor networks for automation environments
- Materials Handling – efficient re-charging of sensors and attachments on lift trucks, AGV’s and other vehicles
- Agriculture and Forestry – reduce maintenance and replacement costs of damaged power connectors on equipment
- Marine – hermetically sealed power transfer to sensors without contact, through water
- Oil & Gas – deliver reliable, consistent power to sensors in high-stress environments